Academic Standing

At the end of each academic term, your enrollment and grades will be reviewed to determine if you have made satisfactory academic progress. Your performance will be reviewed by both your pre-major / major program for department standards, and by the College of Engineering for university standards.

Department Special Action Probation

To remain in good standing in your pre-major / major program, you must meet the standards for academic progress established by your department. These will vary by program, but typically include a review of your TPHR (point-hour ratio for the current term), CPHR (cumulative point-hour ratio at OSU), EPHR (admission-to-major point-hour ratio) and MPHR (point-hour ratio of your major coursework). To learn more about your specific program's standards for academic progress, please contact an academic advisor in your department. 

University Academic Probation

To remain in good standing at the University, you must maintain a 2.0 CPHR. If your CPHR drops below a 2.0, you are in a period of academic difficulty and in danger of not completing a degree at Ohio State.

If your CPHR drops below a 2.0 you will be placed on University Academic Probation. This may be in addition to department probation if you also are not meeting the standards of academic progress for your program. 

When on University Academic Probation you will need to meet specific requirements for your next term of enrollment, including achieving a certain term PHR (GPA), avoiding failing grades, and completing an Engineering Academic Success Workshop during your probation term.

Click here to access the Engineering Academic Success Workshop.

You will receive an email notification of your probation information after your grades have been reviewed, typically one to two weeks after final grades for the term have posted.

Academic / College Dismissal

If you do not meet the terms of your probation, you are eligible for dismissal. Depending on your probation status and your academic performance, you could be dismissed from your department, from the College of Engineering or from the University as a whole.

At the end of each term, if you are no longer in good standing, you will receive an email notification sent to your official OSU email address. If you have not received an email by the second Friday after final grades have posted, you will need to contact your academic advisor to inquire about your current standing.

Reinstatement Process

If you have been dismissed from your department, from the College of Engineering, or from The Ohio State University, you will not be permitted to continue to pursue a degree in the College of Engineering unless you have been approved for reinstatement by your intended major's department.

You can request consideration for reinstatement by submitting a Petition for Reinstatement. This petition is an opportunity for you to provide the review committee with context about the causes of your academic difficulty, an analysis of the steps you are currently taking or plan to take to improve your academic performance, and evidence of any progress you have already made. Each student case is reviewed individually, but in general review committees only approve students who they determine have provided sufficient evidence that they will be successful if allowed to return to the program.

Students who have been dismissed from the College of Engineering but allowed to continue at the University typically must complete at least one term of enrollment in a non-engineering program before submitting a petition for reinstatement. Students who have been dismissed from The Ohio State University must wait at least two academic terms before submitting a petition for reinstatement.