Computer Science and Engineering

UPDATE: Click here for updated CSE/CIS Major Info Sessions.

The Department of Computer Science and Engineering has full-time undergraduate academic advisors dedicated to assisting students.  Students are encouraged to meet often with our advisors to discuss their academic progress and any questions or concerns they may have.

Here is information about how our office works, so you can have a smooth advising experience:

Where is the advising office located?

Office Location: 376 Dreese Laboratories
Phone: 614-292-1900
Click here to visit the department's website.


​***How to Schedule an Appointment***

Appointments are 30-minute meetings that are appropriate for anything requiring long-term planning (such as graduation plans, financial aid appeals, reinstatement petitions, ROTC forms, and BS/MS combined program questions) and concerns about academic progress. Please prepare in advance for your appointment as much as possible (run a degree audit, bring a schedule projection draft, etc.) and bring something to take notes on.

To schedule an appointment, please click here for OnCourse.

When should I email my advisor?

Emailing your advisor with questions you have is another great way to connect. Keep in mind that, due to the limitations of written communication, conversing over email is not the same as talking one-on-one with your advisor in person. As a general rule, stick to questions that are primarily transactional in nature: 

  • asking for a copy of a form
  • verifying a course equivalency
  • sending documentation such as a signed course enrollment permission slip or a request to drop a class

Always contact your advisor directly through your OSU Buckeyemail. Advisors are not able to respond to academic questions to an external email address, due to FERPA. Also, external email addresses may be filtered into your advisor's junk folder. OSU Buckeyemail is the only way to communicate electronically with your advisor.

How do I change into the pre-major program?

Are you a student who is currently in the College of Engineering? If so, changing pre-majors is easy! You can request to change into the CSE pre-major program by sending an email to or coming to our office during walk-in hours.

Are you a student who is not in the College of Engineering? If so, please review the admission requirements to change into the College of Engineering pre-major program. If you meet the criteria, you can change into our pre-major by sending an email to or coming to our office during walk-in hours.

Before contacting an advisor to change into the CSE pre-major program, please review information about the program on the department's website

Which advisor should I work with?

You can meet with any advisor in our program! Each of our advisors has his/her own personal style and we encourage students to work with the advisor who best suits their needs.

Our Advising Staff




JOJO Beyene

Academic Advisor

Advises: all CSE majors and pre-majors

Additional Responsibilities: first-year orientation



Nikki Strader

Academic Advisor and Coordinator of Academic Advising

Advises: B.A. in CIS majors, BS/MS students, and Computational Science minor students, students seeking reinstatement

Additional Responsibilities: graduation certification, transfer credit for CIS minor, oversees advising office