- Academic Advisors
- Aerospace Engineering and Mechanical Engineering
- Biomedical Engineering
- Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering
- Civil Engineering and Environmental Engineering
- Computer Science and Engineering
- Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Engineering Physics
- Food, Agricultural, Biological and Ecological Engineering
- Industrial and Systems Engineering
- Knowlton School
- Materials Science and Engineering and Welding Engineering
- Engineering Undeclared
- Engineering Re-Exploring
- Honors and Undergraduate Research
- Explore & Enroll in Engineering
- Apply To Your Major
- Undergraduate Research
- Grand Challenges
- Graduate Study
- Transfer Credit
- Academic Standing & Policies
- Student Resources
- Forms and Petitions
You are here
Civil Engineering and Environmental Engineering
Welcome to advising in the Civil and Environmental Engineering program! We are excited to work with you and help you on your academic path.
Where is the advising office located?
Office Location: 495 Hitchcock Hall
Click here to visit the department's website.
When should I schedule an appointment?
Appointments are great for in-depth advising, as they are scheduled in advance and allow for discussion between the student and advisor.
Our office offers 15- or 30-minute appointments:
You should schedule a 15-minute appointment for topics like:
- single semester course planning,
- petitions to enroll in over 18 hours in a semester,
- quick questions.
You should schedule a 30-minute appointment for topics like:
- long-term course planning,
- financial aid appeals,
- reinstatement petitions,
- exploring/declaring our major/pre-major and scheduling major classes
- letters of recommendation
Keep in mind that, while we try to accommodate requests, our advisors sometimes do not have availability for a few weeks due to student appointments. This happens particularly during times when students schedule classes. Plan ahead and schedule your appointment well in advance!
Our advising office does not offer walk-ins. If you have a quick question, please send your question via email to an advisor. You can also drop off forms, such as completed Course Enrollment Permission forms for advisors in the advising office without an appointment.
When should I email my advisor?
Emailing your advisor with questions you have is another great way to connect. Keep in mind that, due to the limitations of written communication, conversing over email is not the same as talking one-on-one with your advisor in person. As a general rule, stick to questions that are primarily transactional in nature:
- scheduling questions regarding only one or two classes in a term
- changing into the pre-major if you meet all admission criteria to enroll in the College of Engineering
- questions about applying to the major
- scheduling an appointment
Always contact your advisor directly through your OSU Buckeyemail. Advisors are not able to respond to academic questions to an external email address, due to FERPA. Also, external email addresses may be filtered into your advisor's junk folder. OSU Buckeyemail is the only way to communicate electronically with your advisor.
How do I change into the pre-major program?
Are you a student who is currently in the College of Engineering? If so, changing pre-majors is easy! You can request to change into our pre-major program by emailing one of our advisors or setting up an appointment.
Are you a student who is not in the College of Engineering? If so, please review the admission requirements to change into the College of Engineering pre-major program. If you meet the criteria, you can request to change into our pre-major by either emailing one of our advisors or setting up an appointment.
If you have questions about which classes to schedule once you are in the pre-major, please make an appointment.
Which advisor should I work with?
You can meet with any advisor in our program! Each of our advisors has his/her own personal style and we encourage students to work with the advisor who best suits their needs.
Our Advising Staff
Academic Advisor and Coordinator of Academic Advising
Advises: all pre-majors and majors
Additional Responsibilities: graduation certification, curriculum changes, CIVILEN and ENVENG schedule of courses, departmental scholarships, oversees advising office
Advises: all pre-majors and majors
Additional Responsibilities: university survey, orientation (transfer and first-year), transfer credit, athletic eligibility review