Engineering Physics

Welcome to advising in the Engineering Physics advising program! We are excited to work with you and help you on your academic path.

Where is the advising office located?

Office Location: 1142 Physics Research Building
Click here to visit the department's website.

How can I meet with my advisor?


  • By email at Emails will be read Monday-Friday 8am-4pm.

  • Appointments can be scheduled through Choose “phone/remote” as the appointment reason. Please leave a note indicating what you’re planning to discuss. The meeting will take place by instant message or voice chat through Carmen Zoom. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, face-to-face meetings are not currently an option.

Guidance on how to access Zoom can be found on this page:

No walk-ins during break periods.

When should I schedule an appointment?

Appointments are great for in-depth advising, as they are scheduled in advance and can last up to 30 minutes at a time. You should schedule an appointment for topics like:

  • Answering detailed questions about the program
  • Talking through decisions and weighing options
  • Planning your courses and scheduling
  • Exploring majors and minors
  • Reviewing petitions and evaluating coursework
  • Checking on your progress and performance

Keep in mind that, while we try to accommodate requests, our advisors sometimes do not have availability for a few weeks due to student appointments. This happens particularly during times when students schedule classes. Plan ahead and schedule your appointment well in advance!

When should I come to walk-ins hours?

Walk-ins are limited to five minutes per student, so they are for times when you only need to speak to an advisor for a very short amount of time: add a class you have already picked out, drop a class where you don't need to talk through the decision, getting a signature on a form. Walk-ins are first-come, first-served. If you have a question or a situation that will take longer than is appropriate for a walk-in, the advising staff will help you schedule an appointment for a later date.

When should I email my advisor?

Emailing your advisor with questions you have is another great way to connect. Keep in mind that, due to the limitations of written communication, conversing over email is not the same as talking one-on-one with your advisor in person. As a general rule, stick to questions that are primarily transactional in nature: 

  • discussing difficulties with scheduling due to time conflicts or scheduling errors
  • asking for a copy of a form
  • verifying a course equivalency
  • sending documentation such as a signed course enrollment permission slip or a request to drop a class

Always contact your advisor directly through your OSU Buckeyemail. Advisors are not able to respond to academic questions to an external email address, due to FERPA. Also, external email addresses may be filtered into your advisor's junk folder. OSU Buckeyemail is the only way to communicate electronically with your advisor.

How do I change into the program?

Are you a student who is currently in the College of Engineering? If so, changing pre-majors is easy! You can request to change into the Engineering Physics program by emailing an Engineering Physics, advisor, setting up an appointment, or coming to our walk-in hours. It is recommended that you set up an appointment if you also have detailed questions you want to discuss, and come to walk-ins if you only want to change your pre-major and don't need additional advising at this time.

Are you a student who is not in the College of Engineering? If so, please review the admission requirements to change into the College of Engineering pre-major program. If you meet the criteria, follow the instructions above for current students to change into the College of Engineering as an Engineering Physics pre-major student.

Our Advising Staff

Lindsey Thaler

Advisor and Director of Undergraduate Studies

Advises: all students in physics and engineering physics program and physics minor

Additional Responsibilities: orientation, university survey, graduation certification


Please note:

  • Questions regarding enrollment in Physics 1250 or Physics 1251 should be directed to Dr. Michael Ziegler.
  • Questions regarding the evaluation of physics transfer credit should be directed to the department's transfer credit process.