- Academic Advisors
- Aerospace Engineering and Mechanical Engineering
- Biomedical Engineering
- Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering
- Civil Engineering and Environmental Engineering
- Computer Science and Engineering
- Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Engineering Physics
- Food, Agricultural, Biological and Ecological Engineering
- Industrial and Systems Engineering
- Knowlton School
- Materials Science and Engineering and Welding Engineering
- EASE (Undeclared, Re-Exploring, Honors, Scholars, Research)
- Explore & Enroll in Engineering
- Academic Path Peers
- Apply To Your Major
- Undergraduate Research
- Grand Challenges
- Graduate Study
- Transfer Credit
- Academic Standing & Policies
- Student Resources
- Forms and Petitions
You are here
Materials Science and Engineering and Welding Engineering
Welcome to advising in the Department of Materials Science and Engineering! This office provides advising support to students in the Materials Science and Engineering program and the Welding Engineering program.
Where is the Advising Office located?
Office Location: 5029 Smith Lab
Click here to visit the department's website.
When should I schedule an appointment?
Appointments are great for in-depth advising, as they are scheduled in advance and can last up to 30 minutes at a time. You should schedule an appointment for topics like:
- Changing into the Materials Science and Engineering or Welding Engineering program
- Talking through decisions and weighing options
- Planning your courses and scheduling
- Exploring majors and minors
- Reviewing petitions and evaluating coursework
- Checking on your progress and performance
- Applying to graduate
Keep in mind that, while we try to accommodate requests, our advisor sometimes does not have availability for a few weeks due to student appointments. This happens particularly during times when students schedule classes. Plan ahead and schedule your appointment well in advance!
When should I come to walk-ins hours?
Walk-ins are limited to five minutes per student, so they are for times when you only need your advisor to process something: add a class you have already picked out, drop a class where you don't need to talk through the decision, that type of thing. Walk-ins are first-come, first-served. If you have a question or a situation that will take longer than is appropriate for a walk-in, the advising staff will help you schedule an appointment for a later date.
When should I email my advisor?
Emailing your advisor with questions you have is another great way to connect. Keep in mind that, due to the limitations of written communication, conversing over email is not the same as talking one-on-one with your advisor in person. As a general rule, stick to questions that are primarily transactional in nature:
- asking for a copy of a form
- verifying a course equivalency
- sending documentation such as a signed course enrollment permission slip or a request to drop a class
Always contact your advisor directly through your OSU Buckeyemail. Advisors are not able to respond to academic questions to an external email address, due to FERPA. Also, external email addresses may be filtered into your advisor's junk folder. OSU Buckeyemail is the only way to communicate electronically with your advisor.
How do I change into the pre-major program?
To change into either the Materials Science and Engineering or Welding Engineering pre-major program, you should do one of the following:
- Attend a major changer information session, or
- Contact one of the department's student recruitment team.
Email Megan Daniels at email@example.com for details about the next scheduled information session or contact information for a member of the student recruitment team.
After completing one of these, you will be able to meet with an academic advisor to officially change into the pre-major and create your individualized curricular plan.
Are you a student who is not in the College of Engineering? If so, please review the admission requirements to change into the College of Engineering pre-major program before attending an information session or contacting our student recruitment team.
Our Advising Staff
Advises: all MSE and WE students