The Following Information is Effective for AU 2020 Only
The University Senate has voted for Autumn 2020 academic term to extend a student's ability to take courses with Pass/No Pass (PA/NP) so that the students will be allowed to take elective and General Education courses for PA/NP.
The university understands that the COVID-19 pandemic has created an extraordinary set of learning conditions. Our leadership and faculty believe that this is in the interest of the physical and academic well-being of our students and upholds that promoting overall stress reduction as it pertains to health and wellness of our students is important. The university also hopes that this change can help address ongoing issues in terms of access to technology that continue to persist.
After much consideration, the College of Engineering has made the following decisions in regards to PA/NP for AU 2020:
- Students must consult with their advisor before electing to take any course PA/NP.
- Students are responsible for knowing rules and deadlines associated with PA/NP.
- Students can only submit a PA/NP request form one time. Once the form is submitted, students will not be able to access it again, make any changes, or withdraw their request.
- Students will receive a confirmation email (within 24hrs) that their PA/NP request has been submitted. Additionally, students will receive a confirmation email from the Office of the University Registrar once their request for PA/NP has been processed.
- Once a course has been changed to PA/NP, it cannot be reverted back.
- The deadline for all students to elect Pass/No Pass (PA/NP) for AU 2020 first-session (7W1) courses is Friday, October 2, 2020 (11:59 PM EDT).
- The deadline for all students to elect Pass/No Pass (PA/NP) for AU 2020 second-session (7W2) and full-term courses is Friday, November 20, 2020 (11:59 PM EDT).
- Students may choose one or more Autumn 2020 course as PA/NP; students are not required to take any course PA/NP.
- A grade of "PA" provides credit (including toward graduation), but does not factor into a student’s GPA. A grade of "NP" does not factor into a student's GPA, and does not earn credit.
- Undergraduate students in the College of Engineering may elect PA/NP for general education (GE) courses1, elective courses2, and courses required to apply to Engineering major programs3; students must meet the threshold for a “D” grade in order to earn a "PA" (with some exceptions; please consult with your advisor).
- 1General Education Courses: General education courses vary by College. Students within the College of Engineering must refer to College of Engineering General Education Curriculum Course List. If a general education course overlaps with a major, minor, or other program requirement, students are able to still utilize PA/NP for the course.
- 2Elective Courses: There are no free elective courses in engineering curricula. All courses not labelled as "general education" in the bingo sheet are major requirements with restricted choices. Students may not apply to take any course labelled as "technical elective", "directed elective" "<major program> elective", or "selected elective" as PA/NP. If a "free" elective course overlaps with a major, minor, or other program requirement, students are able to still utilize PA/NP for the course.
- 3Courses Required to Apply to Engineering Major Programs: If a course provided in this list overlaps with a major, minor, or other program requirement, students are able to still utilize PA/NP for the course.
- Minor courses: While the College of Engineering is not expanding PA/NP for our major or minor courses, students should consult with information provided here and speak with their academic advisor to determine PA/NP options for minor programs outside the College of Engineering.
- Courses taken PA/NP during AU20 semester will count toward the limit of 20 credit hours that each student may take as PA/NP during their undergraduate career. (Courses taken PA/NP in SP20 are excluded from this rule.)
- Students must have a cumulative GPA of a 2.0 or higher at the time of submitting the PA/NP request;
- PA/NP credit hours in AU20 will not count toward the 60 Ohio State credits required for Latin honors at graduation. (Courses taken as PA/NP in SP20 are eligible to count toward the 60-hour requirement.)
- To qualify for the Dean’s List, students must be registered for 12 or more credits, with at least nine A-D graded hours and a 3.5 term GPA. Any grade of U, E, EN, or NP will disqualify you from making the Dean's List, even if you meet the 3.5 criteria;
- The University Office of Academic Affairs has more information on PA/NP.
For PA/NP rules, deadlines, request form, and additional resources, please choose from menu items on this page.